Monday, October 15, 2007

Blog Action Day for the Environment

Bloggers Unite - Blog Action Day





Today is international Blog Action Day for the Environment.

I have included in my Detroit Daily Photo Blog, four pictures from Detroit:

1)The first is a torn flag on a gravestone (The flag was litter)(The gravestone represents death!). It's autumn (this could be symbolic of the end of the earth if we aren't careful!). This is both an international and a NATIONAL problem, but our nation and our nation's leaders are failing to take the bull by the horns. We need to deal with our national and international environmental problems. Make your voices heard.
2)The second pile of trash contains a boot and a duck. Besides the actual litter problem, the human boot and the "dead duck" and the human boot are symbolic of what we are doing to the environment and its affect on wildlife and animals.
3)The third image is a discarded doll. Besides being actual litter, an environmental problem in itself, the doll is symbolic of what we will do to ourselves, our children and our grandchildren if we continue on our current path.
4)The third image is an old discarded record--litter. It is symbolic of the end of pleasures and joy if we continue on our current path of environmental degradation. Bird song will end, and music will end and everything we know will end. Period.

All these pictures were taken in Detroit. I think Detroit's biggest environmental issue is the automobile industry. They keep cranking out HUGE gas guzzling, polluting cars? Why? Because Detroiters and Americans BUY THEM. What can you do to help? But the smallest possible least polluting car you can find that will work for your needs.

What else can you do? Write the president, write your congresspeople. Help clean up your neighborhood. Stop smoking. Invest in environmentally friendly stocks and bonds and mutual funds. There are millions of things you can do. Don't water your lawn--it's supposed to estivate in the summer. Don't buy excess packaging. Shop at the farmer's market, patronize your local farmer. Buy local. Read about it. Every single step we take, however little, when multiplied by the many makes a huge difference. YOU and I can help! We must!
Posted by Picasa

15 comments:

Jenny said...

I just discovered your blog - it's wonderful! I grew up in Detroit but have lived away for over 20 years (family still there though) - currently in Connecticut where I've been photoblogging for a few years. I will come back and visit often - I had forgotten about the Boblo Boat!!

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Thanks Jenny, and welcome. I appreciate your visit and comments. YAY!

Marie said...

Bravo for this post, Mary. I am going to mention that on my blog too.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Thanks so much, Marie! I always worry if I say anything political that I will lose half of my very small audience!!!

BerryBird said...

Litter, litter, everywhere. It is such a simple thing. I am filled with rage every time I see people in the act.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Me too! I hate seeing litter and hate even more seeing people toss things out their car window or drop them while walking somewhere. It so annoys me. Sometimes people do that when there is a trash can nearby!

I worry that I didn't have as many commenters as usual--I'm afraid I may have offended people and I didn't mean to.

Lynette said...

You BELONG on the soap box, MST, with your eloquent photos and your voice. Thank for you reminding me of things I can personally do for our world.

And thanks for your visits and comments on my blog.

Bergson said...

Superb series.

It seems that degradation increases with the wire of the photographs

Anonymous said...

This post is great, love your selection of photographs and their message for Blog Action Day!

R&R said...

I'm sorry that I missed action day, but glad you posted your compelling pics. Agree with you 100%!

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Thank you so much Lynette, Bergson, Anonymous, and R&R for you kind thoughtful comments.

I'm kind of relieved to get some positive comments. I was worried yesterday when I didn't get as many as usual. Phew!

NorthBayPhoto said...

Great series of photos concerning the environment! At first I didn’t know that I was looking at a doll..so it shocked me a bit. But being shocked is sometimes a very good thing. We need to do something about respecting the environment more and leaving a positive legacy for our children and grandchildren instead of just leaving messes for them to clean up!

Thanks for visiting my NorthBayPhoto blog!

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Thanks North Bay for your visit and thoughtful comment! I really appreciate it!

Lord Keiella said...

Hey there Mary. I found u. Had to comment when I saw you encouraging people to buy smaller more efficient vehicles. Does my Meat Motor powered gasoline engine assisted 100mpg hybrid SUB fit the bill? lol. I'll have pics and a blog up this weekend about it for sure!
I have had the same sentiments about the auto industry and Detroit for years. I have just sat back and let time prove me tragically right. Great post. Thank you!

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Thanks, Lord Kieilla! :-D

I wish I'd been able to participate in all the blog action days, but they don't always fall on days I have time to blog!