Wednesday, November 28, 2007

"The Hill"

Last night I took my constitutional at "The Hill." Mind you there are
no Hills in Detroit to speak of. The Hill is the "downtown" area of
Grosse Pointe Farms, which is part of Metro Detroit (a "suburb" of
sorts, but it runs right into Detroit without a break).

1)St James Church. Note the moon on the lower right. I was using a
wide angle lens to get the chuch into the picture, so instead of
looking big like it really did, the moon looks small.
2)The Hill Seasfood and Chop House, named after the nonexistent hill
or shopping area. I've never eaten there.
3)Lights in a little alcove on Kercheval, the street the shopping area is on.
4)Kercheval with lights. The moon is in this picture, too, still
looking small and not very evident. Even less evident. I am quite
unfond of those wretched pale blue lights that have suddenly come into
vogue.

I can walk to "the Hill" from my house in 25 minutes. The pictures
were taken with the lost and found camera, whose name, by the way, is
Giovanna. (My two most often used otehr cameras are Eeyore and
Thyraia--just what you always wanted to know, right?)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was trying to work out if the pale blue lights made an image of a sleigh or reindeer or something, but they are just 'messy clouds'? HAHA, naming your cameras ... hmmmm :) Second bottom photograph is graphically perfect :)

Jim Klenke said...

I love the top picture, the lighting is great.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Thanks so much Anonymous and Jim! :-D

The pale blue are just messy and most of the ones I've seen look just like that. AK!

I guess you can actually see the moon better in the street scene with the pale blue lights than in the church scene.

NorthBayPhoto said...

Very pretty

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Thanks, Craig! :-D

Fénix - Bostonscapes said...

Lovely night shots, Mary, especially the church.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Thanks so much Fenix.

I take pix at night now because I can't always get out during the day.

Dick said...

Never thought of a name for a camera. Hmmmm......I have three camera's.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

It makes it easier for me to refer to them and think about them and recognize their various quirks! LOL!

I have three that I am currently using.

But I have LOTS more including a bunch of old Nikon film camera.

And Biker Buddy has even more.

BerryBird said...

Judging by their sign, I would guess The Hill restaurant is rather pricey. The lights do look pretty sloppy in the last photo. Pleasing in the third, though, with some red leaves clinging.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Yeah, I think that's why we never ate there. Too 'spensive.

That "sloppy" light display may be put on by the city or the market association.